Saturday, September 27, 2008

Ah, the Possibilities...

So, today I taught my dance classes...the little ones who have a whole future ahead of them, all they can think about is eating their snack when the class is over. Oh how cute...it's especially cute since they're not my kids, I can give 'em back to their mamas and papas. Yup, I'm still not in a place where I fully like children.

So, I went to the movies last night with a friend-- we went to see "Righteous Kill". It was OK...obviously, DeNiro and Pacino were good, but the story was fairly predictable, and I was really in a mood to see more people get brutally murdered. I wish I could be more descriptive about the movie, and tell you why I felt the way I did about the film, but if I say anything, I'll ruin it for you. It's an OK movie...I'd say, if you've recently had your heart broken, or you are obsessed with De Niro and Pacino in the same movie and have been waiting with bated breath since "Heat", then go check it out. In terms of serious carnage and excitement, Max Payne will have to fill that void when it comes out.

So, the theme of this blog is "possibilities". While I'm not ready to jump into a new relationship, I do think that I need to focus on the possibilities in my life. When I think about the life I had with my ex, it was fun, and special, but I realize now, that it wasn't the be all, end all I thought it was just weeks ago.

I wonder if its better to fight with a guy, be passionate, get angry, and come together, and be involved with his parents and his friends. I think that may be more of what I want. I think about other couples who let parents get in the way of being happy, and I thinkits so so sad, and pathetic. I love my mom, she is EVERYTHING to me, but she will never get in the way of my happiness. The thing is, she loves me, and would never want to stand in the way of my progress. In the past few days I've heard so many stories---we don't go over to his mother's house because...His mother won't even go downstairs to see the grandbaby because...They cut him off because she married...

It's crazy! First of all, the one common thread, I saw, was that mommas of boys, can be major bitches. Yes, I said it. Sometimes they aren't, but yikes...when they are, look out! Whatever, I can't even deal with people who haven't evolved. If you think it's one thing to be friends with someone, but it's another thing to date them and marry them and whatever, that you are part of the problem, not the solution. Those people are hindering our theme of "possibilities", and that is UNACCEPTABLE.

I think of the possibility of being with a man who loves me just the way I am, my silliness, my competitive side, the chattiness, the love of TV, film, loving me, and laughing with me. I think about the possibility of not being hurt or bitter, and being able to have a conversation with my ex, and being able to talk about our relationship without that sting, being able to speak to him when our paths cross.

I don't think about the possibility of being friends, because right now, I think it's important to move forward, and while it was great, and there were really good times, I have friends who are great. I have amazing people in my life who have impacted me and will continue to help me develop into the person I am becoming. Imagine if you were friends with every single ex? Ugh. Pass.

I like focusing on the good things in my life right now. Good friends, good family. Good pet cat, Sebastian. I have a great job, and I'm going to focus on those things, and really focus on what makes me the little special, quirky, weirdo that I am.

For others out there, who have had their hearts broken, I say this: While I still think it's better to have never been in love than to be in the pain that I was in, I do feel that it makes me stronger. Never let a man -- or woman for that matter, break you. While my ex is a good guy, he is just a man, just human. He is no better or worse than any other man or woman in his position. I laugh at the thought that someone out there would think that my silence would mean the end of me, or that I am crouching in a corner, scared to live my life because of this small bump in the road.

We are strong, and capable, and while it may hurt now, and he or she may never walk through the door again., and that's OK. I was fine before my ex, and you will be too. I think getting through this wee has really taught me a lot. It's taught me about what I can accomplish when I just believe in myself, which I didn't have a problem doing before I had a man in my life, and I definitely won't have a problem doing after.

Change is upon us, people! It's time to put up, or shut up. I plan to "work it" everyday. Keep it moving. Don't think about how your ex is doing. If you can't get him or her out of your head, and you wonder if you made the right decision, then maybe it's time to grow a pair and re-examine your life. Otherwise, move on...and while you're at it, leave me the hell alone.

So people, thanks for your comments, and your input. I appreciate all the stories and concern. Just remember, while it is a blog, it's MY blog, and I write what I feel. If you don't like the entry for the day, um...just like a TV show, check out something else. Otherwise, keep reading, and keep passing it on to others!

Go Cowboys!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, you sound like me after my senior year in High School, which I told you I was in love with a white girl. It was the greatest year of my life (Love, Undefeated Football Team, Parties every weekend). That girl lost two of her best friends all because I was black. She fought with her mom the whole entire school year. She also gained some new friends who thought what she was doing was cool, both white and black from dating me.

After the school year, it was all over and I was HURT. I can recall the next year, in a sexual escapade with another girl, Earth Wind & Fire "Hearts of Fire" came on the radio; everytime I'd hear that song, I'D CRY and think, "why can't we just live in a racially harmonious world" which doesn't mean people of different races all start having sex with each other and marrying. But just, WHY DOES ME BEING BLACK MATTER? Why did her two best friends since 2nd grade abandon her in the 10th grade? Why couldn'ther mother see I was a nice kid with a 3.2 grade point average?

You sound like you have the same questions. And those question will plague your life and your love life FOREVER, EVEN AFTER OBAMA IS PRESIDENT! And especially being a Dark Skinned Black Woman, it will be double the pain for you.

You speak of your mom and how she wouldn't get in the way of your love life no matter whom it was or what race. THAT IS US ALL-LOVING BLACK PEOPLE, my grandparents, aunts and uncles never mentioned anything about interracial dating until that 12th grade relationship, and I only think that was because they got calls from some white authorities at school.

That is the world we live in baby. You can be mostly everyone's FRIEND, but when you, A DARK SKIINED BLACK WOMAN, are trying to the be MAIN CHARM PIECE ON A WHITE MAN'S ARM, sure it can happen, but its gonna be HELL AND HIGH WATER TO TRAVEL before it does.

And I keep mentioning the the light skinned, dark skinned thing. If you don't believe in it, compare: Beyonce to Kelly, Raven Simone to Rudy, Halle Berry the Angela Basset. Hell, OBAMA TO JESSE JACKSON. Look at Atom Clayton Powell, Colin Powell, Thurgood Marshall. Do you see the similarities. Sure, there is Conde Rice and Judge Thomas. But look at the numbers in comparison.

ITS REAL! You can choose not live your life acknowledging that, but when you have those seething, visceral questions of WHY? THINK ABOUT IT!

What I'm All About Right Now

  • Go Cowboys!! - Every Sunday...I'll be at the bar!
  • Fall TV- Thank Heaven it's finally here...
  • There's so much to watch- I can't even start!