Wednesday, October 08, 2008

The New Adventures of MoneyPenny Vol. 1

So, before I get into the adventures of getting my mojo back and dating, I should probably tell you about how I got to this point. I've skirted around the messiness of breaking up, but in order for you to get the true oddity that is my life.

For the past almost two years (1 year and 9 months) I was dating a Jewish guy. We met at work, and while things were just going along on a simple path, about a month ago, just four days before his parents and I would be at the same event in his hometown cheering him on, he confessed that he was confused about us, and about whether I was the one with whom he wanted to spend the rest of his life.

What makes the situation so perplexing, is that just a few weeks before, we were talking about religion, and if I would convert; things like "When we get married" were said by him. Seven days before "the event", I looked him in the face and asked him if he still wanted me to attend, to which he looked me in the face and said "I promise". Just weeks later, I was sitting across from him when he said things like, "an interracial couple {in his hometown}would stick out like a sore thumb", and "When I thought about having kids, I always thought they would be like me, but if we had kids, they wouldn't be "like me"". The killer statement, came after I mentioned how diverse his life was, and how it differed from his parents, when he replied, "It's one thing to be friends with...it's another to be married and have kids...".

While I was distraught for days, going back and forth, trying to understand why I didn't see it coming, trying to understand how someone could be such a failure in my eyes--I was asking myself "What relationship was I in?" It was pretty awful.

Then I got a grip. I got angry-- I was angry at his long, drawn out email reiterating things I had already said, ignoring things I had said---and then wishing at some point we could be friends- as if I could ever be friends with a man who basically told me that it was Ok to sleep with me and play house for two years, but marriage, oh no-- not for the black girlfriend.

I'm over him, and the hurt, and the feeling like a fool for falling in love with a man who was never going to be the man with the backbone I thought he had. Overall, I'm sure he's a good person, and he felt that he was doing what was best for him-- he's moving on, as am I.

I say all this, to bring all of you up to speed about the fact that for some reason, at some point, I became a magnet for Jewish men. It doesn't matter where I am--I go to a party in Williamsburg, of all the people, I'm found by that guy...work, there he is--it's actually pretty funny.

So I decided to be different, and try new things, and created a profile for online dating. So I create the profile, keep it simple...throw up a picture, put some words on the page and see what happens!

So while I thought my mojo was gone, I realized, never let a man take away something that was your before you even knew he existed. Today, a guy in a range rover eyed me up and down, then pulled over in traffic just to talk to me. Mojo: check. As for the online thing, I've been getting responses from guys who don't seem crazy! The best part--- one of the first guys who emails me...oh just guess- of course, he's one of the chosen people. At this point, I'm looking up to God, thinking, "really?"--

All of my friends and family, who were all saying that it was an issue not meeting my ex's parents, all they could say was, "maybe you should stay away..." which I completely agree with...sort of.

I know what you all are thinking--maybe it's what she's into. The thing is, it's not as if I'm trolling around Synagogues on Saturdays, looking for a good time. My landlord seems to think I have a Jewish soul, and that maybe in a past life I was a Jew...I don't know about that--although I did learn courtesy of the NYC Department of Records that my grandfather wasn't actually my biological grandfather, and my grandmother's maiden name was Furman, which is of Polish origin.

Back to the guy at hand...so while chatting with other interesting prospects, I've been chatting with this guy...let's call him..."Jay". "Jay" is really a nice guy. He's funny, makes me laugh, and he knows a little bit about my story...girl coming out of a 2 year relationship, doesn't want to sit on the shelf for months just because some guy didn't realize what he was giving up...We chat, and it's actually nice to be in that place.

Obviously, I don't know what I want right now... I don't want to live in the past--that is done. I don't know what is in store for the next chapter in my life, but I have to believe this guy is in my life, chatting with me, for a reason. Who knows what that reason is, but I'm all about finding out-- maybe it will answer some questions. Maybe he'll just be a nice guy, who has some insight I didn't see. Maybe he's just a good looking guy who makes me laugh.

Case in point- I tell him about how I'm recently getting out of a almost two year relationship, and that I wanted to take things very slow, and just chat back and forth for a while. I completely wrote him off, and figured he would simply move on, and this was his response:
"Sorry about your past, that was a pretty long relationship. Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't be the rebound guy - go out first with the shnook listed next to me, then get back to me."
How can you not laugh at that? If anything, he knows how to keep me intrigued...although, so did my ex....no matter what happens, and heaven knows, I have no idea what will happen, I am on a new adventure ladies and gentlemen, and I'm not looking back. As always, I'll keep you posted!

Next time: The world is going to hell in a handbasket: Wild stories of crazy subway adventures, and wild new yorkers doing crazy things. Until next time!

1 comment:

BlackHillPhotos said...

MoneyPenny!! For some reason I didn;t see that one coming. I just finished reading some of your blogs. I can't say I agree with everything (90210 over House? Really?)But what happened to you sucks. But it's good to see that you are moving on to better things. Later...

What I'm All About Right Now

  • Go Cowboys!! - Every Sunday...I'll be at the bar!
  • Fall TV- Thank Heaven it's finally here...
  • There's so much to watch- I can't even start!